Monday, June 25, 2012

Just Keep Swimming

I'm Diana Gleisberg, 3rd of the 4 members of Stalking Omaha.  Unlike Sarah and Laura, my sister Katie and I grew up as Air Force brats.  We moved to Bellevue in 1994 just as Nebraska was dominating on the grid iron and I fell in love with all things Nebraska.  My Dad later retired in Bellevue when I was in middle school and the Omaha metro has been home ever since, minus the 4 years I lived in Lincoln proudly attending the University of Nebraska. 

As Sarah mentioned in our first blog; a few weekends ago we went to the Swimvitational, the Summer Arts Festival, the Santa Lucia Festival, and competed in the Warrior Dash all in the same weekend.  Because of how jam packed full of fun that weekend was, we mentioned over and over how awesome Omaha is.  Then we started listing all the events coming to town and Laura first remarked, "It's like we're stalking Omaha."  Hence this blog.

My BFFs, Laura and Sarah, and my sister are all busy documenting our tales of Omaha outings.  Unfortunately I've been so busy lately that I haven't had the chance to regale our fan club with my own adventures.  One of the reasons for my hectic schedules is the workouts leading up to Warrior Dash.  One of the best ways to train is through the FREE bootcamps held downtown at the Gene Leahy Mall.  The circuits are grueling and were certainly beneficial as I traversed cargo nets and hurdled fire.  For anyone that works downtown; these are convenient, intense, effective, and fun!  These are held Tuesday and Thursday nights at 5:30.  We all can thank the Omaha Downtown Improvement District and the YMCA for putting this on.  You can check out more information at http://omahadowntown.org/ or on facebook.



Big Brothers/Big Sisters of the Midlands is another activity that I devote my time to.  I recently became a Big Sister and am seeing her discover parts of Omaha for the first time.  She had never been to the College World Series, so this past week we attended a dinner to kick off the opening of the CWS and attended the Arizona/Florida State game with fellow blogger and BFF Laura.  She got to take in the baseball atmosphere as she saw home runs, ate nachos, and watched the beachballs in the outfield.  Randomly she also got an introduction to blow up dolls as a fan decided that'd be appropriate to throw around in the stands.  What a great mentor am I?  ;)  Seriously though, my Little is sweet, grateful, and just wants to experience new activities.  If interested in supporting this amazing organization or becoming a Big yourself, more information is available at http://www.bbbsomaha.org




Today also marks the start of a week and a half vacation for me as my sister and I will be passionately supporting the US Olympic Swim Trials.  I've been an Olympic enthusiast since the '88 Winter Olympics in Calgary as I watched Katarina Witt figure skate.  Ever since, I'm glued to the tv for every Olympics.  I watch every sport and it dictates my sleeping schedule, my ability to run errands, and to leave the house for that matter ;)  My friends and family know that if you want to see during those 2 weeks that you'll have to join me in cheering on the U.S.  Even my dog understands this.  During the last summer Olympics in Beijing as we were wildly celebrating a swimming relay victory or sulking from Brendan Hansen's loss, Buddy was by our side jumping or consoling...whichever was appropriate.  One of my favorite Olympic events has always been swimming and the last decade of dominance has really cemented that.  My sister and I are so geeked that we've been planning our swimming attire, which athletes we plan to hound for autographs, and creating a game plan for Aqua Zone (interactive swimming exhibit with travelling museums, games, autograph signings, gift shop, etc).  In anticipation, we took pictures of the swimming statue and projection on the Mutual of Omaha building.


For the next week and a half I plan on living at the Clink (Century Link as I like to call it).  You should all join me cheering on these athletes, especially since the swimmers say this meet is more stressful than the Olympics as only 2 swimmers will qualify in each event, even if the U.S. has the top 3 times in the world!  For more information on the swim trials, check out http://www.usaswimming.org/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabId=1450&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en-US

For now, to quote Dori, Just keep swimming!

No comments:

Post a Comment